These Preferences configure default settings for packing Freight shipments.
Automatically Pack Items based on packaging scenarios
Sort packages after auto-packing is performed
- Package Name
- Item Number
- Line Number
- Package Type
- Number of Packages
- Do Not Sort (if you do not want packages sorted)
- Pack tightly without Remainder
- Pack tightly with Remainder
- One Packaging Type without Remainder
- One Packaging Type with Remainder
- Pack in Fewest Packages
For Pack Tightly (with or without Remainder): The Packing Assistant will first start by trying to find the packaging type that will hold the most quantity of the particular item. It will pack as many items in that packaging type and then repeat the same process again until it doesn’t find a packaging type that can hold a quantity that is less than or equal to the current quantity that remains unpacked. If it is without remainder, it will find the smallest applicable packaging and create a partially full package (i.e. 10 items in a container that holds 15) or it will leave it unpacked (with remainder).
For One Packaging Type (with or without Remainder): The Packing Assistant will try to find the one best packaging type that will hold the most quantity of items, and then exclusively use that to pack the items, i.e. pack 1000 items in 2 boxes that hold 400 each. With the remaining items, it will either pack the items into 1 additional box (200 items in 1 more box), or leave it unpacked (with remainder).
For Pack in the fewest packages: The Packing Assistant will attempt to pack all items, without remainder, in packaging types that will result in the lowest number of total packages.
Automatically pack all loose items and packages onto one pallet
Pallet Weight Classification
This setting determines whether the tare weight of handling units will be applied to the highest or lowest class included in the shipment. The default is highest. To initialize Pallet Weight Classification, enter the weight for each Handling Unit in Setup > Maintain > Packaging.
Example of Pallet Weight Classification
- When Pallet Weight classification is set to Highest class, the 40 lbs is added to the row for the bag with the highest class.
When the default is set to Lowest Class, the 40 lbs is added to the line for the bag with the lowest class.
Keep track of package contents
- You can pack any quantity of a single item into one or more packages;
- You can pack multiple items into one package; Item A and Item B are packed into 1 box. Note: You cannot put multiple items into multiple packages because this will not allow StarShip to identify the package contents; for example, you cannot pack Items A, B, and C into 2 boxes.
- If, for example, the packaging scenario is 20 items to a box, and you are shipping a total of 102 items, StarShip divides the items into 5 boxes of 20 items each, with 2 items in one box when “without remainder” or “fewest packages” Auto-Pack Preference is selected.
Using the same packaging scenario (20/box) but this time with a remainder Auto-Pack Preference selected, StarShip divides the items into 5 boxes of 20 items each and adds a separate row containing 2 loose items.
Again, using the same packaging scenario but a total item count of 99, StarShip would divide the items into 4 boxes of 20 each, and create a separate entry for a box of 19 items.