With StarShip, you can ship Orders that have a “Ready to Ship” or “Partially Shipped” status in Volusion.
This section contains general information for manually shipping against Volusion Orders. More general information for processing a shipment can be found here.
You can also use StarShip’s Packing Assistant, which simplifies shipping by providing a graphical, step-by-step means of importing, classifying, and packing items originating from source documents. If enabled, it will appear automatically when you ship against an Order. The Packing Assistant is enabled in Setup > Preferences > Freight > Packing Assistant (for Freight) or Setup > Preferences > Parcel > Packing Assistant (for Parcel).
Ship an Order
- In StarShip, click the Rate/Ship menu item.
- If you have multiple companies, make sure the Volusion company is selected before proceeding.
- Type in the Order Number or search for an Order using the available filters. You can also select a batch of Orders to ship.
If using filters, click Add Filter and then enter your specific criteria. Certain filters also allow you to select from a list of existing values.
- Select the Order(s) and click the Create Shipment button or click the truck icon in the Order row.
- Select or confirm the shipping method – Carrier and Service – in the Transportation section. (You can also Rate Shop to select a carrier and service.)
- Pack line items (if not packed) and enter the weight of the first box or use an electronic scale to read the weight in the Packaging section. Repeat the weighing process for each package.
For Freight shipments, StarShip populates the bill of lading using line item and packing information. Bill of Lading settings in Freight Preferences allow you some flexibility regarding how StarShip converts item packaging information into the bill of lading body. Typically, similar items with the same class are grouped under one general description. The commodity description may be edited on the BOL tab.
You can also manually enter the BOL.
- Enter or select any Shipment Details, such as Shipment Options, and any other shipment information that wasn’t populated.
- Rate the shipment with the currently selected carrier by clicking Rate from the menu or by pressing Ctrl + Alt + R. To rate shop, select Rate Shop from the menu or press Ctrl + Alt + S. Select a carrier from the Rate Quotes section.
- Click Ship/Process or save the shipment.
- Save: To save a shipment without processing it, select Shipment > Save or Ctrl + S. This action saves the shipment as a draft, but does not process the shipment, request pickup from the carrier, automatically print shipping documentation, or write back any information to Volusion. The shipment is essentially saved as a draft so you may open it and make changes.
- Ship/Process:To process a shipment, select Shipment > Ship/Process or hit F3. The shipment is tendered to the carrier. If you set up the bill of lading and/or labels to print automatically, they are now generated. StarShip also performs write-back to Volusion. Once a shipment is processed, the Shipment Status changes from Open to Processed on the Shipment tab.
StarShip updates the Order Status to “Shipped”. The Ship Date, Tracking #, Carrier/Service, and freight cost are written back to the Order. For Orders with multiple packages, the tracking number of the each package is written back.
You can partially ship an Order by adjusting the Shipment Qty in the Line Item section of the Shipment Editor.
The Order Status of partial shipments will be remain as “Ready to Ship” in Volusion. You must change the Order Status manually to “Partially Shipped”.
When you void a shipment in StarShip, the Order Status is not updated in Volusion. The Order Status will remain as “Shipped” and must be changed manually. The tracking number, Ship Date, and Carrier are removed from the Volusion Order.
In the case of partial shipments, where you ship multiple shipments against an Order, if one shipment is voided, the tracking numbers, Ship Dates, and Carrier are removed for the whole Order. The status will remain as “Shipped” and must be changed manually.