The Write-Back feature allows you to write shipment information back to Dynamics GP. StarShip supports freight, notes, and custom field write-back to Sales Transactions. You can set up how and when write-back occurs, and control what is written back as well.
You can access these settings by selecting Setup > Source Interfaces > Microsoft Dynamics GP (your version) and clicking Interfaces. Then, click the Customize Interface button for Sales Trx.
When a shipment is processed or voided in StarShip
Define how freight should be written back to Dynamics GP.
- Always write back freight to the Sales Trx: When you save or void a shipment in StarShip, the freight amount is written back to the Sales Transaction.
- Prompt the shipper to write back freight to the Sales Trx: When you save a shipment in StarShip, the shipper receives a prompt asking if freight should be written back to the source document.
- Do not write back freight to the Sales Trx: Freight is not written back or updated.
When a shipment is deleted, set the Batch on the Sales Trx to
Make a selection from the drop-down list, or you can choose not to assign a Batch ID. You must have previously created the batch ID in Dynamics GP for it be available in the drop-down list.
How should an existing freight value be handled?
Define how StarShip should deal with freight write-back when a freight amount exists on the Sales Transaction.
- Replace existing freight only when the Tracking Number list for the Sales Trx is empty: This option will overwrite the freight amount only when the Tracking Number list in Dynamics GP has no entries.
- Always retain existing freight – increment or decrement as shipments are processed: This option will add or subtract from the existing freight amount as new shipments are processed or deleted against a Sales Transaction.
- Always replace existing freight with freight from last shipment processed: This option will overwrite the freight amount with the freight from the last shipment processed against a Sales Transaction. Note that with this selection, multiple shipments against the same Sales Transaction will always show the most recent freight charge.
When the user clicks Apply on the StarShip Rate Quote window
Define how freight should be written back to Dynamics GP when a user selects a rate and applies it to a shipment in StarShip Rate Quote.
- Always write back freight to the Sales Trx: When you click Apply in Rate Quote, the freight amount is automatically written back to the Sales Transaction Entry screen.
- Prompt the shipper to write back freight to the Sales Trx: When you click Apply in Rate Quote, the user receives a prompt to confirm if freight should be written back to the Sales Transaction Entry screen.
- Do not write back freight to the Sales Trx: When you click Apply in Rate Quote, freight is not written back to the Sales Transaction Entry screen.
Update Shipment Packing tables when shipment is processed (GP Advanced only)
Check this option to enable write-back to the GP Advanced tables (ShipPackHeader, ShipPackContainer, ShipPackSOPLine).
Keep Shipment Packing table entries for “x” day(s)
If you checked the “Update Shipment Packing tables…” setting above, this option will become visible. StarShip allows you to set the number of days to keep entries in the Shipment Packing tables for processed shipments. StarShip will delete entries based on this value.
StarShip stores the date of last purge. The next purge will delete the Shipment Packing table entries for processed shipments that meet this condition: ‘The Current Date’ – (subtracted by) ‘The Date when the Shipment was processed’ > (is greater than) ‘Number of Days to Keep Shipment Packing Table Entries’. StarShip does not delete any entries created by the Warehouse Management System.
Update Ship Date during Write-Back
Check this option to write the Ship Date back to Dynamics GP. StarShip can update the Actual Ship Date in Dynamics GP, which is found in Sales > Sales Transaction Entry > Sales Transaction Entry window by clicking the arrow next to the Date field. The Sales Date Entry screen will open where you will see the Actual Ship Date field.
You can customize the StarShip fields that are written back to the Sales Transaction for both Freight and Parcel shipments. Under Notes Settings, select the Freight or Parcel node.
Write the shipment notes in 9x compatibility format
When checked, StarShip will write shipment notes to Dynamics GP Sales Trx in StarShip 9.x format. This setting deals with write-back by location (if shipping with multiple locations).
In version 9.x the location field was optional. The current version of StarShip automatically retrieves the location when writing notes back to Dynamics GP. Therefore, if you do not want to use the location, you would check this check box and StarShip will disregard location info.
Write the information below to the Sales Trx when a Freight/Parcel shipment is processed in StarShip
StarShip writes the information in the Notes Settings section to the Note associated with the Sales Trx. The Notes are accessed from the Sales Transaction Entry screen by clicking on the note icon next to “Document No.”.
These are the default shipment fields that write back to Dynamics GP for Parcel shipments:
For Freight shipments, these are the default shipment fields that write back to Dynamics GP:
Modify or Add Fields
You can change the field that writes back by selecting a different field from the Note Field, or clicking the Add Note Settings button to add more fields. The Note Tag is the printed title; the information from the StarShip field on the right will appear next to the Tag words in the Dynamics GP Note.
Custom write-back is available for Dynamics GP v10 and higher. See Custom Write-Back for more information.
You will receive a warning and freight will not write back under the following conditions:
- for “Return” type Sales Transactions;
- if the currency on the Sales Transaction (Currency ID on the Sales Transaction Entry screen) is not the functional currency. This setting is configured in Dynamics GP in Setup > Financial > Multi-Currency > Currency ID;
- if any of the Sales Tax Details that apply to freight are not based on “Percent of Sale/Purchase.” You can view Tax Details in Dynamics GP in Setup > Company > Tax Details (the Based On field).