The StarShip Desktop Client and Connector may be installed on the same computer as the StarShip Server but you can also choose to install it on multiple PCs that are used for shipping, depending upon your number of seat licenses. Before beginning the Client installation, make sure that the StarShip Server has been installed (on this PC or in another location).
After the installation is complete, please read through the StarShip Connector topic for important information about the modes the Connector can run in and other considerations, as well as crucial information for QuickBooks Enterprise users.
Where to Install the Connector
Your printer configuration and scale locations can define where you want to install the StarShip Connector.
Isolated Printers (most common): Install the Connector on each machine if the printers are isolated and not shared from a central server.
Shared Printers: To centralize the Connector and minimize the number of Connectors you have to maintain, you can install the Connector on one machine to act as a print server. This works if the printers are shared and the Connector Service logon user has access rights to see and print to all printers.
If using scales, a Connector must be installed on each machine with scales attached.
Run the Installer
- Run the ClientSetup.exe file to launch the StarShip Client installation.
- Accept the license agreement and select I Agree.
- Click Next to start the installation.
- Select where to install the StarShip Client. You can accept the default directory or select a different directory by clicking Browse. Click Next.
- You can choose whether or not to create backup copies of any files that are replaced during the installation process. When you select Yes, you can also provide a directory for the backup files. Click Next.
- In the StarShip Server Location field, type in the computer name or IP address of the computer where StarShip Server is installed and running. “Local” indicates that the server is running on the local machine; in this case, you do not need to enter the computer name or IP address. Click Next.
- If StarShip Web has been installed, select the StarShip Client components to install. You should install the StarShip Connector for use with StarShip Web. If you will also be using StarShip’s classic desktop shipping application, check the StarShip Desktop Client option. Click Next.
- If you selected to install the StarShip Connector, place a check mark next to each function the Connector will be performing on this computer. These selections can be modified later in the Connector application, which is accessible from the StarShip Client program folder on the Windows Start menu.
- Select where you want to install the StarShip Client Dashboard shortcut. This dialog will only display if you also selected to install the StarShip Desktop Client in Step 7. Click Next.
- Select the Program Manager group where you would like to add shortcut icons for the StarShip Client. You may accept the default setting of StarShip Client or type in a new group. Click Next.
- Click Next to begin the installation.
- You can check for updates or read the release notes after installation is done. Click Finish to complete the installation.
- Microsoft .NET 4.0 or higher may be required for the Client installation. If it is not detected during the installation the dialog below will display. Click OK to install Microsoft .NET.
- Click Exit Installation to close the installer.